Monday, June 29, 2009

e-learning day1

A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.
I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?


In this poem,the sentence how they creepThrough my fingers to the deep is a personification.The phrases "they creep through my fingers to the deep" vividly shows that the object that he is holding can move on its own,however what he is relly moving is only sand but not something that can move on its own.

I really like this poem, this is because that it is filled with phlosiphy and make you wonder what the arthur is trying to tell you, what is the realy meaning of his poem, a dream within a dream, the plot is interesting,it gives you space to image and think what will happen after the poem and what is the moral of the poem. It is fascinating to read it since this is not unlike some other poem which only describes an object or event vividly, it is half-imaginary,but on the other hand, it also seemed to be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment